Solid carbide gundrills
With our modern manufacturing processes and state-of-the-art automation, Star produces solid carbide gundrills used for machining challenging medical grade materials. Star Single Flute solid carbide gundrills are specially engineered and manufactured to meet part print requirements for medical devices and instruments with proven results in drilling the complete range of titanium and stainless steel materials.
In many cases, small diameter gundrills have provided customers excellent cost savings, from tool life and throughput improvements, including several case studies done that resulted in doubling production capability:
- Titanium (6Al-4V) case study – tool life improvement from 700 to 1,700 parts.
- 440 Stainless case study – tool life improvement from 110 to 220 parts.
Optimization of the Single Flute solid carbide gundrill manufacturing process has been a key factor, with Star having looked at everything in the process, from selecting the appropriate grade of carbide, surface finish, edge prep, and coating – all essential for success in the medical sector.
- Selected grades of carbide
- Superior surface finish on the tool
- Special drill geometries
- Special edge preparation on the cutting edge
- Selected advance tool coatings
- Coolant hole diameter size range staring at 0.700mm [0.028”]
- Designed, manufactured, and serviced in the USA