Dearborn, Michigan – Ford Motor Co. built its 10 millionth Mustang muscle car Wednesday, a key milestone for the automotive icon.
The 10 millionth Ford Mustang is a high-tech, 460hp 2019 Wimbledon White GT V-8, 6-speed manual convertible equipped with driver assist technology and built at Ford’s Flat Rock Assembly Plant in Michigan. The first serialized Mustang (VIN 001) produced in 1964 was the same color and model with a 3-speed manual transmission and 164hp V-8.
“Mustang is the heart and soul of this company and a favorite around the world,” said Jim Farley, president of global markets, Ford Motor Co. “I get the same thrill seeing a Mustang roll down a street in Detroit, London, or Beijing that I felt when I bought my first car – a 1966 Mustang coupe that I drove across the country as a teenager. Mustang is a smile-maker in any language.”
Ford is celebrating the milestone with employee celebrations at its Dearborn headquarters and its Flat Rock Assembly Plant, including flyovers from three WWII-era P-51 Mustang fighter planes and Mustangs produced for more than five decades parading from Dearborn to Flat Rock, where the Mustang currently is manufactured.
During its 54-year production history, Mustang also was built in San Jose, California; Metuchen, New Jersey; and the original Mustang production facility in Dearborn, Michigan.
Important Mustang launches (by model year)
- 1965 Shelby GT350 introduced; Mustang 2+2 with full fastback roof debuts
- 1968 Mustang 390 GT stars with Steve McQueen in “Bullitt”; 428 Cobra Jet engine debuts
- 1969 High-performance Boss 302 and Boss 429 introduced
- 1970 Ram-Air “Shaker” hood offered
- 1974 Mustang II debuts amid gas crisis; no V-8 engine offered until 1975
- 1976 Cobra II joins the lineup
- 1979 Euro-styled “Fox” platform Mustang debuts
- 1982 Mustang GT returns after 12-year absence
- 1984 Mustang SVO debuts
- 1993 Limited production SVT Mustang Cobra debuts
- 2000 SVT Mustang Cobra "R" race version returns
- 2001 Debut of Mustang Bullitt limited-edition salute to movie car
- 2003 Mustang Mach 1 model returns with Ram-Air “Shaker” hood scoop
- 2004 Dearborn Assembly Plant ends 40 years of Mustang production moves to Flat Rock Assembly Plant
- 2007 California Special edition returns
- 2008 Iconic Bullitt Mustang returns
- 2011 412hp 5L V-8 Mustang GT debuts
- 2012 First Boss 302 since 1971 returns with 444hp V-8
- 2015 Sixth generation Mustang, first with independent rear suspension, Shelby GT350/GT350R with flat-plane crank 5.2L V-8
- 2018 Updated style, new 5L V-8 engine with 460hp and Performance Pack II
- 2019 Limited-edition Mustang Bullitt with 480hp