BorgWarner projects at least three years of double-digit business growth from fuel efficiency

BorgWarner projects at least three years of double-digit business growth from fuel efficiency

Emissions, fuel-saving technologies driving orders, profits up for near future.

Subscribe
November 11, 2014

Auburn Hills, Michigan – BorgWarner Inc. expects net new powertrain business to drive an organic compound annual growth rate of 10% to 12% from 2014 through 2017. Organic growth includes the change in sales due to net new business and excludes the impact of base business growth or shrink, changes in product pricing, acquisitions, divestitures, and foreign currencies. The company's new business is sourced around the globe and includes programs with nearly every major automaker in the world.

The company expects net new business-related revenue within a range of $850 million to $950 million in 2015, $1 billion to $1.2 billion in 2016, and $1 billion to $1.2 billion in 2017.

"Improving fuel economy, lowering emissions, and enhancing the driving experience are increasingly important strategic initiatives for automakers around the world," said James R. Verrier, president and CEO. "BorgWarner works collaboratively with our customers to solve the challenges they face. We anticipate trends and develop innovations that enable automakers to put new powertrain technologies on the road quickly."

Of the total three-year net new business, approximately 70% is anticipated from engine-related products such as turbochargers, ignition systems, emissions products, engine timing systems including variable cam timing devices, and thermal systems. The remaining approximately 30% is expected from drivetrain-related products including all-wheel drive systems, the DualTronic transmission technology, and its traditional automatic transmission products.

Geographically, BorgWarner expects new business to grow around the world, particularly in China and North America.

New business sales in Asia are expected to account for about 55% of the total over the period. Nearly 38% of BorgWarner's expected new business is in China as sales in the world's fastest growing market continue to accelerate. The top 25 customers in the company's three-year net new business include eight Chinese domestic OEMs.

Approximately 30% of the anticipated new business over the three years is in the Americas. This includes 25% with the North American domestic OEMs compared with 19% in the previous three-year net new business.

The European market accounts for approximately 15% of expected net new business compared with 27% in the previous three-year net new business. Europe remains an important growth market for BorgWarner; however, the adoption of BorgWarner's advanced powertrain technology in other parts of the world is expected to outpace Europe over the next few years.

Among BorgWarner's product lines, turbochargers account for about 38% of the company's net new business, with growth in the commercial vehicle, diesel passenger car, and gasoline passenger car markets. Turbocharging is a key strategy employed by vehicle manufacturers to address the issues of fuel efficiency and emissions reduction while maintaining vehicle performance.

Approximately 16% of the net new business is linked to engine timing systems including variable cam timing. The company's advanced engine timing technologies optimize air flow into and out of an engine and reduce friction and weight to help improve fuel economy, reduce emissions and increase power density.

All-wheel drive technology for front-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive vehicles delivers 14% of the company's net new business. The company's portfolio of all-wheel drive products delivers superior torque distribution and management and is in high demand around the world.

Another 8% of the new business is tied to the company's dual-clutch technology. The technology provides the fuel-efficiency and fun-to-drive characteristics of a manual transmission with the convenience and smooth shifting of an automatic.

"Tightening emissions standards and a sharpened focus on fuel economy in the commercial vehicle market is expected to provide additional growth for BorgWarner," noted Verrier. "The top 25 customers of our three-year net new business include five commercial vehicle OEMs. Roughly 9% of the expected new business is related to the commercial vehicle market."

Source: BorgWarner