Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – Axalta Coating Systems has released its Global Automotive 2014 Color Popularity Report. The report, which has annually tracked regional automotive color preferences since 1953, is the most comprehensive in the industry. This year’s report offers an introduction to Color Matrix, Axalta’s automotive color forecast for use on future production vehicles.
“Our Color Popularity Report data not only allows us to see the colors most favored by consumers but, more importantly, it enables us to forecast future trends. Every year, designers from our OEM customers depend on our advanced forecasting to make critical decisions regarding color choices for their vehicle lineup two to four years in advance,” stated David Fischer, vice president of marketing for Axalta’s global light vehicle OEM business.
The 2014 forecast includes a wide variety of color types that will influence the global automotive market. The upcoming trends showcase four color groups: pale hues, bright colors, muted versions, and dark shades. The matrix of colors is shown in fine or coarse metallics, solids, tintcoats, tricoats, and pearlescent varieties. Advanced color technologies from Axalta’s global research and development teams add further to the breadth of color style combinations.
“Our global color specialists formulate the next generation of coatings colors, as we continually aspire to meet the needs of the constantly changing market,” said Nancy Lockhart, Axalta color marketing manager.
Global Automotive 2014 Color Popularity Report highlights:
- White, at 29%, remains the most popular shade on vehicles for the fourth year in a row, while color is showing signs of coming back with red, blue and yellow each increasing by 1%. Black, at 19%, is still strong overall in the market, but has dropped one percent since last year.
- North America
- White tops the charts at 25%
- Red, more popular in North America than other regions, climbed 3% in popularity
- White, silver, and black declined 1% this year
- Pearlcoats are the most popular coating in the United States
- Solid white is preferred in Mexico
- South America
- A strong preference for white at 27% of vehicles and silver, at 25%, shows light colors are the most popular
- Black is third in popularity at 12%
- Red increased 1% this year to 11% overall, showing an increase in preference for colors
- Europe has the most blue vehicles on the road, with the main interest in light and mid shades
- Major increases in blue were seen in the compact/sport and intermediate multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) categories
- Silver and white have continued to decline
- Green is not catching the eye of the car buyer, and it remains at only 1% popularity
- There is a strong preference for white at 30%, with the highest usage in South Korea at 34%
- Black has dropped slightly in preference, but holds second place at 19%
- Black is most popular on luxury vehicles in China at 24%
- Blue is more popular in Japan than in other countries in Asia
More 2014 color popularity data and information on the Color Matrix trend categories can be found at http://www.axaltacs.com/corporate/en_US/industries/transportation-coatings/transportation-coatings-for-light-vehicles/color.html
Source: Axalta Coating Systems