Clinton Township, Michigan – Axalta Coating Systems’ Global Automotive 2015 Color Popularity Report shows that white continues to increase in popularity and holds onto the top position worldwide. Since overtaking silver in 2011, white has continued to gain in popularity on all vehicle types.
Nancy Lockhart, Axalta Color marketing manager, says, “For the fifth consecutive year, white is the world’s most popular color. However, we did see some pockets of color when we looked across regions. For instance, red jumped eight percentage points over 2014 in South America, mid-shade blues are significant in Europe, and bright blues gained popularity in North America.”
A few highlights from the latest edition include:
- Silver leveled out after declining for four years and remains at 13%
- Blue remained steady over 2014, while other rich colors declined
- At 11%, no region likes red more than North America
- Blue increased in popularity to a total of 8% of North American sales
- Europe favors black more than any other region, with 21% of the market, possibly because of the popularity of luxury sedans on the continent
- Gray was down 10% in Asia, and white gained 19 percentage points of popularity in China
Lockhart says automotive color popularity provides a valuable look back at how consumer color preferences changed over time.
“Axalta’s color trend forecasting team researches the expected color preferences of tomorrow,” says Lockhart. “The next generation of global automotive colors will offer a variety of colors with highly chromatic colors in bright reds, rich blues, and vibrant violets. Niche colors are forecasted on small cars in unique shades of pale blue, green, and gold. Warm hues are gaining popularity in earthy tones of green, bronze, red, and beige. Finally, cool shades are holding interest in white, gray, and black.”
Source: Axalta Coating Systems