Troy, Michigan – Now in its fourth year, the Altair Enlighten Award has received 21 global nominations for the 2016 award, with seven OEM full vehicle and fourteen supplier module submissions. The award which recognizes and celebrates achievements in vehicle lightweighting will be presented in collaboration with the Center for Automotive Research (CAR) at the 2016 CAR Management Briefing Seminars taking place in Traverse City, Michigan from August 1st-4th.
This year's award program added new categories to help highlight the innovative lightweighting strategies being implemented for both full vehicles and modules such as components, systems, and enabling technologies to acknowledge achievements in vehicle lightweighting. Comprised of worldwide automotive experts, the awards judging committee – chaired by Dr. Jay Baron, President and CEO of CAR and Director of CAR's Coalition for Automotive Lightweighting Material (CALM) – will assess each nomination and select the overall winner.
"It is impressive to see such significant effort by the supplier community with terrific enabling technologies making a difference in advanced lightweighting," Baron says. "The competition for full vehicle nominations demonstrates just how far vehicle manufacturers have succeeded in applying new solutions throughout the vehicle to reduce weight while maintaining safety and performance."
The 2016 Enlighten Award nominees for full vehicle are:
- BMW: 2016 7 Series
- CSR Bus: 2016 TEG 6129 BEV
- Ford Motor Co.: 2017 Ford F-350 Super Duty
- General Motors: 2016 Cadillac CT6
- General Motors: 2017 Cadillac XT5
- Isuzu: 2015 SML Bus
- Volvo Eicher Commercial Vehicle Ltd: Heavy Duty Truck
The 2016 Enlighten Award nominees for modules are:
- Alcoa: Micromill
- American Axle: Power Take Off Unit Housing
- ContiTech: Rear Suspension Polymide Cross Member for Mercedes S Class
- Dicastal: Honda Civic Wheel Structure Optimization
- Faurecia: DecoDisplay – Smart HMI Surface
- FTE: EP20 Low Pressure Oil Pump Assembly
- Magna Cosma International: Jaguar Land Rover Rear Rail
- Novelis: Aluminum Sheet for Ford F-Series
- Pittsburgh Glass Works: Lightweight Glazing
- Pranav Vikas: AC System Components
- Sika Automotive: Power Crash Resistance Technology
- Tata Technologies: Lightweight Tipper Body
- Volvo-Eicher Commercial Vehicle Ltd: Commercial Chassis
- Wanfeng Meridian: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Magnesium Inner Liftgate
"The increase in submissions coming from the OEMs for full-vehicle lightweighting will make for an exciting competition this year. I expect as we draw closer to the 2025 CAFÉ standards we will continue to see more dramatic weight reduction tactics implemented by OEMs," says Richard Yen, senior vice president of automotive at Altair. “It's also been exciting seeing the huge variety of nominations coming from suppliers who are tackling the challenge of vehicle lightweighting in such varied ways. I think 2016 will be the most competitive year in the award's history."