Detroit, Michigan – General Motors’ Chevrolet Camaro gets an update for the 2019 model year with new exterior designs, safety features, and a 1LE package for the 2L turbocharged 4-cylinder engine.
”The restyled 2019 Camaro reaches even higher with more of the design, technology, and choices that customers want,” said Steve Majoros, Chevrolet marketing director for cars and crossovers.
Highlights for 2019 include:
- Camaro SS offered with 10L80 10-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission; custom launch control, line lock
- Available rear camera mirror
- Available forward collision alert
On the exterior design, grille details and hood and fascia vents optimize air flow, either to cool components or minimize drag. New front-end styling differentiates between LS/LT, RS, and SS with different fascias, grilles, LED dual-element headlamps, and reshaped hoods (ZL1 retains its airflow-optimized front-end styling). The front fascia on the SS model features aero-enhancing air curtains.
The Camaro Turbo 1LE adds the 2L turbo 4-cylinder engine to the 1LE family that already includes the car’s other engine combinations – the V6 1LE, SS 1LE, and ZL1 1LE. The Turbo 1LE comes exclusively with a six-speed manual transmission. The variant also includes:
- FE3 suspension with larger diameter front and rear stabilizer bars, tuned dampers, stiffer rear cradle bushings, and cross-axis ball joints in the rear tow links that enhance lateral stiffness
- Split front/rear summer-only tire sizes: P245/40R20 (front) and P275/35R20 (rear)
- 2L turbo engine with 275hp and 295 lb-ft of torque
- Brembo brake package with low-metallic performance pads
- Nearly 50/50 weight balance
- Driver mode selector with Sport Mode and Track Mode; Competition Mode (within Sport and Track Modes) includes performance instrument readouts, launch control, and shift lights